- Title: Inland Waterfowl and Wader Habitat
This layer represents Inland Waterfowl / Wading bird Habitat (IWWH), a Significant Wildlife Habitat defined under Maine's Natural Resources Protection Act (NRPA; http://www.maine.gov/dep/blwq/docstand/nrpapage.htm). IWWHs with a high or moderate rating meet the Significant Wildlife Habitat definition and are protected under NRPA. Low-rated IWWHs are NOT included in this layer because they do not meet the definition and are not protected under NRPA. Boundaries and attributes of polygons in organized townships were updated in 2008 by MDIFW staff using recent (2001-2007), high-resolution (250 ft from a vegetated, non-forested wetland on a Great Pond. Changes to polygon boundaries and IWWH ratings are occasionally made based on a field visit by an MDIFW regional biologist. The last such modification was made 2012-04-09.
- Publication Date: Oct. 28, 2009, midnight
- Type: Vector Data
- Keywords: environment inlandWaters shoreland zoning biota
- Category: Biology
- Owner: DKatnick
- Point of Contact: DKatnick
- Restrictions: These data are provided by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife for determining inland waterfowl / wading bird habitats protected under the Natural Resources Protection Act (NRPA) and shoreland zoning. Only polygons with a high or moderate rating qualify under NRPA. Only polygons that qualify under NRPA and have a wetland size of at least 10 acres qualify under shoreland zoning. Users assume all responsiblity for using this data as intended and all liability for using this data other than as intended. This data is not intended to be used at scales below 1:6,000. To ensure that this data is the most current version available, download this data directly from the Maine Office of GIS or from an official, state of Maine webservice that accesses this data directly from the MEGIS data catalog. In the use of Maine GIS data, please check sources, scale, accuracy, currentness and other available information. Please confirm that you are using the correct copy of both data and metadata from the Maine GIS Data Catalog. The Maine Office of Geographic Information Systems (MEGIS) provides notice of updates and corrections directly to the Maine GIS Technical Group and Maine GIS Users, through the MEGISTECH and MEGISUSER list servers. To subscribe please contact MeGIS through the Maine Office of Information Technology (OIT) Customer Support Center (CSC) at (207) 624-7700. To request data correction in, or provide updates to Maine GIS data, please use the contact information contained in the metadata. Updates, corrections, and feedback, incorporated in the Maine GIS database are made in accordance with "Data Standards for Maine Geographic Information Systems", 2002, and coordinated by MEGIS in consultation with the Maine GIS Executive Council.
Polygons with a high or moderate rating indicate Inland Waterfowl / Wading bird Habitats (IWWHs) protected as Significant Wildlife Habitats under NRPA. NRPA-protected IWWHs with a non-forested wetland size (indicated in the SZ_ACREAGE field) of at least 10 acres are also protected under Municipal Shoreland Zoning (MSZ). Because NRPA allows ratings and boundaries of IWWHs to be changed based on site visits by MDIFW Regional Staff, whereas MSZ polygons are fixed as of Nov 20, 2008, a separate layer called "Shorezone_Iwwh" in the MEGIS Data Catalog and "MEIFW.Iwwh_SZ_New" in the SDE catalog was created on Nov 20, 2008 to specifically depict MSZ-protected IWWHs.
- Language: English
Five criteria are used to rate IWWHs as high, moderate, or low value: (1) wetland type composition, (2) number of different wetland types, (3) size, (4) inte...