- Title: Roseate Tern Essential Habitat in Maine
EHRTERN Roseate Tern nesting areas identified and mapped as Essential Habitat by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (MDIFW). The dataset is maintained as a REGIONS coverage and contains attributes for site reference, town, acres, and island identification.
- Publication Date: June 24, 2003, midnight
- Type: Vector Data
- Keywords: roseate tern 24000 BIOLOGY essential wildlife habitats
- Category: Biology
- Owner: AMeehan
- Point of Contact: AMeehan
- Restrictions: These data are provided by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife solely for individual use or the use of a company or agency for the purpose stated. Boundaries may change as additional survey data become available. The designation of essential habitats is an ongoing process, where sites may be added, deleted and/or revised following public rulemaking. As a result, information and maps will be periodically updated. To be certain the most current essential habitat maps and documents are consulted, users are advised to carefully monitor update notices and version dates. Landowners, project planners, municipalities or state agencies considering a project in or near an Essential Habitat should immediately contact an MDIFW Regional Wildlife Biologist for assistance.
PLEASE READ! Essential Wildlife Habitats are areas currently or historically providing physical or biological features essential to the conservation of an endangered or threatened species in Maine and which may require special management considerations. As required under the Maine Endangered Species Act, a state agency or municipal government shall not permit, license, fund or carry out projects that will significantly alter an Essential Habitat or violate protection guidelines adopted for the habitat. Landowners, project planners, municipalities or state agencies considering a project in or near an Essential Habitat should immediately contact an MDIFW Regional Wildlife Biologist for assistance.
Essential Wildlife Habitat pertains only to definitions under Maine's endangered species laws (12 MRSA, Chapter 713, Subchapter V, Sections 7754 and 7755-A) and regulations (MDIFW Rules, Chapter 8.05). Information about and mapped locations of other endangered and threatened species habitats, "Significant Wildlife Habitat" (38 MRSA, Chapter 3, Subchapter 1, Section 480-B), rare plants and natural communities, or other important natural resources are not included. For comprehensive information about these resources, please contact the following agencies:
Fish and Wildlife Information:
Maine Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
284 State Street
State House Station 41
Augusta, Maine 04333-0041
Phone: (207) 287-8000
Rare Plant and Natural Community Information:
Maine Natural Areas Program
Maine Department of Conservation
159 Hospital Street
State House Station 93
Augusta, Maine 04333-0093
Phone: (207) 287-8044
- Language: English
Hard copies of official maps are located in all MDIFW and affected town offices. See "Essential Wildlife Habitats for Maine's Endangered and Threatened Speci...