- Title: Shorebird Roosting Areas
Extensive field surveys began in 1993 to identify, map, and document use of feeding and roosting areas for shorebirds. Areas are labeled as feeding sites, roosting sites or both. Polygon boundaries have been modified by the Maine DEP to align with the state 1:24,000 coastline. Polygons have been modified by Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife to include 100 ft and 250 ft disturbance protection zones around feeding and roosting sites, respectively, and to better align habitat boundaries with natural features based on high resolution, low tide imagery from Maine DMR. Areas of extensive development were clipped from the 250 ft. disturbance protection zones around roosting areas.
- Publication Date: Sept. 8, 2009, midnight
- Type: Vector Data
- Keywords: environment Significant Wildlife Habitat Shorebird Areas biota Natural Resources Protection Act
- Category: Biology
- Owner: AMeehan
- Point of Contact: AMeehan
- Restrictions: These data are provided by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife for preliminary assessment to identify Significant Wildlife Habitat under the Natural Resources Protection Act. Users must assume responsibility in determining the usability of this data for their purposes. Providing public access to wildlife habitat data is not intended as a subsitute for consultation with MDIFW staff regarding permit applications or environmental reviews. If this data is to be used for Natural Resources Protection Act purposes, the user must contact Maine Department of Environmental Protection to obtain an official map of the area in question. Digital maps retain the accuracy of their source materials. The best use of data mapped at scales of 1:500,000 and 1:250,000 is in statewide planning and studies; at 1:100,000 in regional planning and studies; at 1:62,500 and 1:24,000 in detailed studies and local planning; and at 1:12,000 and 1:5,000 or larger scales in parcel level studies and detailed local planning. In the use of Maine GIS data, please check sources, scale, accuracy, currentness and other available information. Please confirm that you are using the correct copy of both data and metadata from the Maine GIS Data Catalog. The Maine Office of Geographic Information Systems (MEGIS) provides notice of updates and corrections directly to the Maine GIS Technical Group and Maine GIS Users, through the MEGISTECH and MEGISUSER list servers. To subscribe please contact MeGIS through the Maine Office of Information Technology (OIT) Customer Support Center (CSC) at (207) 624-7700. To request data correction in, or provide updates to Maine GIS data, please use the contact information contained in the metadata. Updates, corrections, and feedback, incorporated in the Maine GIS database are made in accordance with "Data Standards for Maine Geographic Information Systems", 2002, and coordinated by MEGIS in consultation with the Maine GIS Executive Council.
These polygons represent shorebird areas that are Significant Wildlife Habitat under the Natural Resources Protection Act.
- Language: English
This data layer specifically addresses migratory shorebird coastal staging areas. Staging habitat is defined as areas that meet shorebird feeding and roosti...